Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Front Patio Update

So now that spring has arrived, I have been able to get some more work done on the front patio.  Here you can see the finished stone work on the east side and the opening for the storage area.  I hope to make a set of nice iron doors for this soon.



Here in the next few pics, the baluster railing is being installed...



The balusters were all cast first (15 of them).  They were cast with a rod of rebar projecting on both the top and bottom.  The bottom rail was framed with 2x6s and a piece of trim at the top corner to add detail.  While this concrete was still wet, the balusters were inserted and clamped into position.



The top rail was then formed in place using pieces of plastic rain gutter supported by 2x4s and a 'ladder' of 2x2s to support from beneath, in-between the baluster tops.


The finished baluster rail:



I think it turned out alright for something I cast myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment